Friday, October 2, 2009

Call me Mr. Inbetween.

In a few days I will be boarding a plane in New York. This plane will stop briefly in Brussels then it will drop me off in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.

The first thing most people have asked me since I told them about this scheme is, "What are you going to do in India." That makes me always feel a little woozy. I don't have an answer. It seems like I should. I've quit a steady job, moved out of a living situation that was great, in a city that I love. I should have a good reason. I don't. At least not one that is satisfies that sort of question.

I may be going to find myself, or learn how to play the veena, or make friends with an elephant, or connect with people from a vastly different culture than mine, on their turf, on their terms, or get myself out of my habits so I can finally make a plan about what I'm gonna do when I grow up.

Maybe, or maybe I just want to find the best coffee house in Bangalore. Have you heard about South Indian filter coffee? It sounds great.

There were two earlier Westerners who found themselves in South India with out a clear plan.

I've been thinking about them a lot lately. One was Saint Thomas the Appostle. Most people called him Doubting Thomas. That's because he wanted to see with his own eyes Jesus after he was resurrected and touch his wounds. He sounds like a pretty reasonable dude. I'd want to see that, too. After having his doubt dispelled he headed East and ended up in India. Working a day job as either an architect or a carpenter, and spreading the gospel.

The other predecessor I've been thinking about is Vasco da Gamma. He went to India to get spices and gold. The Indians didn't want to trade for any thing he brought from Portugal. Vasco's back-up plan was just to take the stuff he wanted. He brought some supplies for his back-up plan. He brought cannons.

I have some doubts. I have no cannons. I'm bringing a camera, a mini disc audio recorder, and minimal expectations. I'll write about what I find here.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you'll post again within 24 hours of touching down in India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lex. Be in touch. Do post after you've arrived.

    Kevin the Accordionist

    हम हमारी यात्रा से सीखो.
    - We learn from our journeys.

    ReplyDelete